As an elephant research volunteer, you can help Bring The Elephant Home and Kariega Game Reserve with an exciting research project focusing on range expansion and elephant well-being in South Africa! As the reserve is preparing for range expansion, we have collared six elephants to track their movement and assist in monitoring their behaviour before and after fence removal. During this program the Reserve will be initiating range expansion by taking down the fences, so you will actively participate in elephant identification and monitoring of elephant behaviour during this important time. Besides Kariega’s dedicated ecologists and rangers, you will work with two elephant researchers of Bring The Elephant Home.
Will you join this unique expedition?
Bring The Elephant Home is now recruiting max eight elephant research volunteers to help collect and analyse elephant behaviour data, collect elephant dung, identify individual elephants along with other activities, thereby making a valuable contribution to elephant conservation and management. During your stay, you will have a unique opportunity to learn about elephant behaviour, elephant identification, elephant tracking technology and conservation the challenges they face as well as contributing to sustainable solutions to elephant decline!
Elephant conservation expedition activities
You will get involved in multiple activities, which may vary from:
- Track and identify wild elephants.
- Use new elephant conservation technology.
- Record elephant behaviour.
- Measure elephant dung and collect dung samples.
- Contribute to elephant identification kit and database.
- Other tasks to support elephant conservation: (social) media, website, graphic design, etc.
- Regular game drives (4 times a week) with expert guides.
- Endless possibilities to emerge yourself in nature, form meaningful connections, and observe natural animal behaviour.
- Besides many opportunities to observe elephants, you will be exposed to numerous other species such as lions, rhinos, buffalos, giraffes and zebras.
- Gain experience at an international conservation organisation.
- Stay in a beautiful location surrounded by wildlife.
- Network opportunities with like-minded people and collaboration with local partner organisations.
Elephant conservation expedition participant qualifications
The most important requirements are that you are passionate about elephants, and motivated to make a real change. We especially welcome people who:
- Are independent, have great team spirit
- Are accountable and dependable
- Have an optimistic and flexible attitude
- Have the ability to think in terms of creative and practical solutions.
- Speak and write English proficiently
- Are aged over 21 years old
We welcome a maximum of eight elephant conservation expedition participants with different skills and experiences useful for all activities. A few examples of skills we value: science (e.g. social, animal behaviour or environmental), communication (developing social media and educational tools), GIS, analysing tracking data, (conservation) education, and more.
Not ticking all the boxes?
If you are super motivated but not sure if you can meet all the requirements, you might be able to help us reach our goals in a different way. Please contact us with your ideas, and we can discuss the possibilities.
All funds raised from participating in this unique experience will contribute to elephant research and conservation projects.
We look forward to your application!
Where: Kariega Game Reserve, South Africa. When: March 5 – 14 2024
Application and selection process
- You can express your interest through this form.
- After the application, we will contact you with more information about the program.
- We will make a selection of suitable applicants and inform you personally.
- Before confirming your stay, we would like to have a video call to get to know you better, talk about your preferred activities, and decide which tasks would suit you and which skills are most needed for the program.
- As soon as possible after meeting you we will confirm whether you can join the program.
- In case of any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com
Please express your interest as soon as possible!
10 days: 2.350 euros ($ 2,500).
We can provide applicants with personal fundraiser pages so you can raise financial support for your contribution to elephant conservation and limit your costs.
- This includes shared accommodation at Kariega Conservation Center, all meals (vegetarian), coffee/tea/water, (limited) internet access, boma area with a campfire, braai, and a rockpool.
- All game drives in the beautiful Kariega Game Reserve and participating in elephant behaviour research.
- The participation fee excludes flights, land transfers, and personal expenses (e.g. local SIM card, drinks, snacks, etc).
All funds raised from participating in this unique experience will contribute to elephant research and conservation projects.‹ Back to previous page